October 15, 2008

The Imaging Campaign

(I am setting this post to be published at 7:00 AM on my desktop so that when it's, 7:00 AM, it will click the orange "publish post" button-Originally written on October 14th, 2008, around 9:35 PM)

The Imaging Campaign. Am I doing a photographers campaign? No. Sorry. I don't own a camera at the time of writing, but hopefully I will get one sooner or later. (Depends when later is. :P)

I first explained the word "Imaging" in the computer terms to some friends on Skype today, when they didn't understand what it meant. (The post where my definition is, is here: FyreWhirl.)

While I don't actually mean "the cruelty of the binding of laptops", it isn't quite nice. I tried installing something for a friend today and saw the "authenticate" thing when trying to drag an application to the "Applications" folder. I don't get it-Why didn't they bother to put the option where they let the person/student who is using the computer copy/paste/edit the Applications area? It's not like they're going to drag everything to the bin.

I first received this letter a few days ago (Sensitive details has been removed. It's actually a good thing that I uploaded this picture instead of someone else, since I sniped away the email, addresses, the phone numbers, signature, and name that was on before.)

I think... I also heard that *some teachers* have not imaged their laptops because they think that they do not need it. Well, I think that I don't need to image mine, because I want control of my computer. Although I understand that they want to "configure everything, install the printer drivers, the programs that are needed, and 'let the servers see the mac address'", I also think that the control of the computer should remain in the student's hand.

I find imaging also very inconvinient on the school side also, since imaged computers cannot receive bluetooth files. That is probably why many teachers and students have problems with sending and receiving files over bluetoth and saying that it's horrible, it doesn't work, ... I first also thought that at first, but then realized after I brought my unimaged laptop that I bought from the school to school, that bluetooth was in fact, really useful, and powerful. It saves a lot of time of sending files if you know how to use it. (Opening up your browser, and thne typing in the username and password for the Dulwich network, waiting for it to load like a snail, then go to your email, then log in, then wait for even more as the network is suffering under the amount of web requests that other Macs are sending, then you get to the mail interface, then you click "compose mail" or something similar like that, then you type in the email address of the recipents, and then you attatch it. Now, depending on the file size, it may take from seconds to minutes to hours to days. And then after it has attatched you send, then you log off, and then you repeat the procedure with the other person.

Also, I think that I have found out why that the school Macs are so slow-It's because they imaged it and paired it up with the network and then because, I predict, that the network isn't capable of syncing with so much macs and having them log on and log off, is why it's slow. And also that they have pushed in a lot of "unnecessary programs". Well, not really unnecessary. But some unnecessary settings. :| These are all my opinions, so don't take it as if it's CNN.

Today, I received a letter like this.

I'm really wondering if this is necessary or not, since I'm sure, MANY people are aware of passwords, what a password is, and how to change it.

And even if they didn't change it themselves, their parents changed it for them through the imaged admin account.

Looking back at this, I think that its unnecessary but it's also useful for some people who don't know how to change passwords.

I also think that this ties in with the whole "imaging" thing, because I think that they really want you to image your laptop.

It's also really funny that the person who wrote it (Name sniped off, due to privacy reasons.) put "Version 1.0" under in the footer.

I think that people should be aware of imaging, what it is, and what's happening in it.

I will be posting more on imaging when I have time during the weekend.

Also, why did I snipe off the names? First, I don't want to get in trouble for putting the images online with the private details, second, I am aware of the privacy issues online, third, I think that it's just RIGHT that their privacy is not... Like disrupted.

If I wrote an article and put up MY private details into it, I wouldn't WANT someone to upload it and show other people the details.

So thats why I took away the info on it.

Comments appreciated. No swearing, flaming (That includes hate messages), or any offensive language please.

-FyreVortex
-http://fyrewhirl.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment